Saturday, January 5, 2008

What my ipod liked in 2007

2007 came to a close, and like everyone else, I feel the obligatory need to share my top listens of the year. I decided the best way to determine what made the top of the list, was to let my ipod tell me - what songs were from 2007 and most played? Admitedly, the songs which were uploaded to the ipod earlier in the year got more play than more recent additions.

Here's who made the cut.

Most played song: Ruby by Kaiser Chiefs (from Yours Truly, Angry Mob). Ruby is a great song and it surprised me, and pleased me, that it made the top of the list. Kaiser Chiefs is the latest in a hot string of the newest wave out of England. Ruby has a sharp guitar riff with some some la-la's in the beginning followed by a deep crooning Morrissey-like voice that reminds me more of The Smiths than much of his own recent work, especially with lyrics like "Due to lack of interest, tomorrow is cancelled." Then that chorus of "Ruby ruby ruby ruby" kicks in and it's so much fun. Right behind Ruby, ironically, is Dashboard by Modest Mouse (from We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank) with Johnny Marr, formerly of The Smiths on guitar. Maybe I just miss The Smiths?

Rounding out the top plays for 2007:

Weapon Of Choice - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (Baby 81). Catchy, fun, and I played it all summer.
Radio Nowhere - Bruce Springsteen (Magic). Certainly not Bruce's best, but a great throwback to some '80s Jersey rock (did I mention that I am from exit 9?)
Running Away - Polyphonic Spree (The Fragile Army). See post below, I love it, my kids love it.

Keep The Car Running - Arcade Fire (Neon Bible). In the next post, I'll tell you why I think this is one of my two favorite albums of the year, and the best band I've heard in years. This song was top of my play list for so long and proved that The Arcade Fire still had the ability to awe and inspire with their sophomore release.

Stop Me - Mark Ronson featuring Daniel Merriweather (Version). With so much hype about Amy Winehouse, the overlooked hero was her album's producer (her Phil Spector if you will) English DJ and producer Mark Ronson. This cover (of a Smiths song no less) made my top 10 in downloads and has the same groove and the same horn section (Brooklyn's own The Dap Kings) that made Amy Winehouse a household name. If you liked the Winehouse, you'll love this.

Bodysnatchers - Radiohead (In Rainbows). Simply stunning. See the albums of the year post.

Young Folks - Peter Bjorn & John (Writer's Block)
(F)lannigan's Ball - Dropkick Murphys (The Meanest of Times)
Take Me to the Riot - Stars (In Our Bedroom After the War)
Please Read The Letter - Robert Plant & Alison Kraus (Raising Sand)
Atlantic City - Bruce Springsteen with The Seeger Sessions Band (Live In Dublin)
Toxic - Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra (Hits The Hits)

Next posts - my favorite albums from 2007 with some surprises, some overlooked gems, and some really great albums; my favorite tracks and albums for the whole family.

No comments: